ALIVE! Board Meeting – October 5 at 7:00 PM
The next ALIVE! Board meeting is Tuesday, October 5th at 7:00 PM via Zoom. An agenda and read-ahead materials will be sent prior to the meeting.
ALIVE! Recruiting Volunteer Treasurer/Controller
ALIVE! is looking for a new part-time treasurer and controller. Eligible candidates include interested volunteers with the requisite skills. Please circulate the following position description within your congregations:
For over 30 years, ALIVE! has benefited from the services of a volunteer part-time treasurer and controller. That individual will be retiring at the end of the current 2022 fiscal year (June 30, 2022) and ALIVE! is considering a volunteer to perform some or all of his duties. Ideally, a new volunteer would begin working with the current treasurer/controller shortly after January 1 to become familiar with the position and its duties.
Those interested in the position should be able to maintain ALIVE!’s books throughout the year, prepare the books for audit at year-end, assist the staff and Board of Directors in all aspects of their financial reporting needs, perform certain IRS Form 990 support services, and support its federal grant reporting requirements, including helping prepare for federal audits of grant funds. The position would be ideal for a newly retired CPA who is seeking to “keep their hands in.”
Anyone interested in assuming some or all of these responsibilities should contact Jenn Ayers, ALIVE! Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
StepALIVE! – Volunteers to Hand Out T-Shirts
Volunteer to hand out T-shirts and work the StepALIVE! event. Sign up for shifts online by CLICKING HERE.
- Hand out T-shirts: October 16 from 10:00 am – 11:30 am (1stshift), and 11:30 am – 1:00 pm (2nd shift); October 17 from 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm (1st shift), and 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm (2nd shift)
- Setup crew: October 17 from 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm
- Registration table: October 17 from 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- Refreshments table: October 17 from 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm (1stshift), and 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm (2nd shift)
- Cleanup crew: October 17 from 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm
ALIVE! House Application
Wishing a happy birthday to our resident mom this week. ALIVE! House is accepting applications for new residents. There is currently availability for three new families. As a member congregation, you can refer a family to ALIVE! House. Complete the ALIVE! House Referral Application and return to Danien Johnson at email@example.com.
Meet with AEPP staff in-person for immediate assistance. The complete list of times and locations starting in October are available on the AEPP webpage.
- Every Tuesday from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM alternating between Charles Houston Rec Center (901 Wythe Street) and William Ramsay Rec Center (5650 Sanger Avenue). Get the flyer.
- Every Thursday from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Casa Chirilagua (4109 Mt Vernon Avenue).
Volunteer Your Gardening Skills
Love to garden? We would like some assistance maintaining the ALIVE! office’s garden boxes and playground. This a great volunteer opportunity for youth groups or even just a few folks who don’t mind getting their hands dirty. For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexandria Bahá’í Conversation on the Harmony of Science and Religion
The Alexandria Bahá’í Community invites you to join a conversation on the Harmony of Science and Religion, Sunday, October 24 from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm with guest facilitator Jay Miller. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, the appointed leader of the Bahá’í Faith from 1892 to 1921, viewed science as a divine gift, “the first emanation from God toward man;” explained that religion and science both address a single truth and are “indissolubly welded and joined in reality;” and predicted that “science will sanction religion and religion fortify science.” What are the implications of such harmony of science and religion? For the Zoom link (and recording of the session), contact Lauren Poon at email@example.com.
Pavement Services Needed
First Christian Church (where the ALIVE! administrative offices are housed) needs the front entrance driveway repaved. Looking for a donation or discounted rate. Contact Pastor Tim Bobbitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALIVE! collects food donations Thursdays 3:00 – 7:00 PM and Saturdays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM at 801 S. Payne Street. Donations must be from the current list of Accepted Food Donations. Visit the Food Program webpage page for details.
Click the hyperlink for the –> ALIVE! Food Distribution Calendar (OCTOBER 2021) <– Get the entire month’s calendar of ALIVE! food distributions. Calendar subject to change.
Weekend Food Distribution
- Saturday, October 30 from 8:30-10:30 AM at Cora Kelly Elementary School (3600 Commonwealth Ave), NOVA Alexandria (lot B-1 via Dawes Ave), and William Ramsay Rec Center (5650 Sanger Ave).
- Thursday, October 14 from 4:30 – 6:00 PM at William Ramsay Rec Center (5650 Sanger Ave.)
- Friday, October 15 from 11:00 AM until supplies run out at Old Town Community Church (212 S. Washington St.)
- Saturday, October 16 from 8:00 – 10:00 AM at Fairlington United Methodist Church upper parking lot (3900 King St.)
- Saturday, October 16 from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Jefferson Houston PreK-8 IB School (1501 Cameron St.)
Volunteer opportunities for ALIVE! food distributions available through September. Sign up online HERE. Congregations and groups interested in volunteering, contact Liza Feiler at email@example.com
List of Needed Items updated. Check back regularly as the list can change as our inventory changes. Visit the Housewares webpage for the list of accepted items.
Send all Housewares referrals to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Client’s name, address, cell number, and email if possible
- Number of adults and children (with ages) in the home
- List of needed kitchen items, dinnerware, appliances, bed and bath linens
ALIVE! in the News and on Social Media
Visit the ALIVE! Newsroom on our website for news articles featuring ALIVE!’s work in the community.
- Alexandria City Council Approves Additional Eviction Prevention Resources. ALIVE! is listed as a community partner on the Alexandria’s Eviction Prevention Task Force.
- ALIVE! is the Alexandria Times Cause of the Month
- StepALIVE! quarter page ad by sponsor The Zebra Press
Don’t miss out on daily ALIVE! social media posts. No need to have an account to see what’s happening. Click on the hyperlinks below to view.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alive4alexandria
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alive4alexandria/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ALIVE4AlexVA
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/alive4alexandria/
Resource: Alexandria City Council Approves Additional Eviction Prevention Resources
For Immediate Release: September 29, 2021. At a legislative meeting on September 28, the Alexandria City Council voted unanimously to increase the City of Alexandria’s capacity to support households at risk for eviction. City Council’s decision funds $457,000 for two service navigator and two housing relocator positions; storage assistance for household belongings; and additional legal services provided by the Legal Aid Justice Center to assist people at risk for eviction due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This news release is available at alexandriava.gov/124404.
Resource: Register to be a Trunk at Trunk-or-Treat!
The Center for Alexandria’s Children is hosting its 2nd Annual Trunk-or-Treat Event and needs at least 12 trunks! Register by Friday, October 8 if your team can participate: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2021TrunkOrTreat.
When: Friday, October 29th from 4 PM to 6 PM (set up starts at 3:30 PM)
Where: Brent Place Apartments rear parking lot
Address: 375 S. Reynolds Street, Alexandria, VA
Please join in providing a safe & fun opportunity for families to enjoy the Halloween holiday together.