ALIVE! House provides up to 24 months of temporary housing and support for women and their families in emergency and transitional situations. We assist our residents in achieving their goals of housing and stability. Referrals are accepted on a case-by-case basis.
Established in 1972, ALIVE! House is the oldest continuously operating shelter for women in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Its operation is supported by the generous contributions of ALIVE! member congregations, individual donors, local businesses and foundations, and federal and state grants. At ALIVE! House, we believe every one of our residents has a unique contribution to offer the community.
ALIVE! House helps residents recognize their own distinctive interests, strengths, and skills. By harnessing the natural strengths of each family, we provide support as the families identify their goals.
- Emotional Growth: We encourage and support residents in improving their emotional health.
- Parenting Skills: We build positive relationships between parent and child, and teach basic parenting skills.
- Education and Career: We provide guidance as residents make choices and set goals for education and career development.
- Financial Independence: We teach residents to become financially independent, and to manage their funds through budgeting and saving.
- Housing: We help residents find appropriate housing for their families upon leaving the shelter.
To meet these objectives, ALIVE! House provides residents with both in-house programs and community-based services. We promote trust through collaboration between families and service providers.
ALIVE! House accepts volunteers on a case-by-case basis. Financial donation to ALIVE! House support residents in their journey to stable housing.