ALIVE! House Shelter
ALIVE! House provides temporary housing for women and families in emergency and transitional situations. ALIVE! House provides up to 24 months of shelter and support for families experiencing homelessness.
Families can be referred through the Alexandria Office of Community Services Homeless Services Assessment Center (703-746-5700). We also accept outside referrals on a case-by-case basis for families experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness.
Helping women and families achieve their goals. Visit our ALIVE! House Wish List for a current list of donation requests. Established in 1972 as a shelter for women and families, ALIVE! House is the oldest continuously operating shelter for women in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Its operation is supported by the generous contributions of ALIVE!’s member congregations, individual donors, several area businesses and foundations, and federal and state grants.
At ALIVE! House, we believe every one of our residents has a unique contribution to offer the community. Our mission is to help residents recognize their own distinctive interests, strengths, and skills, and to assist them in achieving their goals of housing and stability.
ALIVE! House provides safe and stable housing for women and families to address these goals in several areas:
- Emotional Growth—We encourage and support residents in improving their emotional health.
- Parenting Skills—We encourage positive relationships between parent and child and teach basic parenting skills.
- Education and Career—We provide guidance as residents make choices and set goals for education and career development.
- Financial Independence—We teach residents to become financially independent and to manage their funds through budgeting and saving.
- Housing—We help residents find appropriate housing for their families upon leaving the shelter.
To meet these objectives, ALIVE! House provides residents with both in-house programs and community-based services. By harnessing the natural strengths of each family, we provide support as the families identify their housing goals. We promote trust through collaboration between families and community-based service providers as families work to achieve their housing goals.
ALIVE! House accepts volunteers on a case by case basis, please contact the ALIVE! House Director.