Current Job Opportunities at ALIVE!
ALIVE! Food Program Manager
Founded in 1969 as a grassroots movement led by faith-based organizations and community leaders in response to growing concerns about poverty and hunger in their city, ALIVE! is a volunteer-governed 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing emergency and basic needs support to people in Alexandria. Its Food Program is one of six programs currently run by ALIVE!. Today, the Food Program team of staff and volunteers provides the largest food assistance effort in the City of Alexandria.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The ALIVE! Food Program Manager is responsible for the planning and implementation of the ALIVE! Food Program, to ensure food is provided to those who need it in the City of Alexandria. The responsibilities include working with the Executive Director and others to develop and plan the delivery of various food programs to meet changing community needs and demographics; execution of those programs in coordination with volunteer site leaders and community representatives; working with and developing systems that support volunteers and paid staff to carry out the work of all food programs; developing and maintaining a system of food collection through community food drives, linkages to member congregations and ongoing relationships with the Capital Area Food Bank and others; maintaining positive relationships with partners; managing warehouse and fleet logistics in coordination with other ALIVE! programs; managing and distributing inventory using best practices; and data collection and reporting to ensure the program makes effective and efficient use of resources.
Presently, the ALIVE! Food Program Manager reports to the Executive Director and directly manages the Food Program staff; works in collaboration with colleagues and volunteer leadership; and trains and supervises appropriate volunteers and staff. The ALIVE! Food Program Manager is guided by the ALIVE! Food Program Advisory Committee.
Skills and Knowledge:
The ideal candidate shall have:
- Experience in logistics, warehouse management, food distribution or other relevant type of work.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Strong customer service skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and foster relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Experience working with clients and volunteers from diverse backgrounds.
- Project planning or project management experience.
- Strong computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office 365 and database management.
- Familiarity with health codes and USDA guidelines for food handling, and familiarity with safety procedures and risk mitigation to prevent injury.
- Effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively with others.
- Ability to prioritize, delegate, and schedule work to be most efficient and effective.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards in job performance.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more daily.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
Expectations and Benefits:
This is a salaried, 40 hours-a-week position. However, hours may vary as it requires regular weekend work, some early starts and evenings, and the occasional need to work more than 40 hours in a given week. ALIVE! provides health and dental benefits, the option to participate in a retirement plan, and paid annual leave.
Job Duties include:
- Manage all major food drives and collections by coordinating with sponsors (USPS, Boy Scouts, ALIVE! Congregations), scheduling pick-ups and deliveries and arranging for volunteer assistance with the volunteer coordinator.
- Plan and update most needed donations list and work with staff to communicate plans to receive and distribute donations.
- Manage the inventory of donated and purchased food to ensure that a ready stock of nutritious and culturally appropriate food is available for all programs.
- Ensure deliveries and donations are coordinated and stored safely and appropriately.
- Coordinate with other ALIVE! program leads to ensure food is available and distributed via other programs regularly and consistently.
- Manage and supervise all aspects of daily food operations within the ALIVE! Warehouse, to include:
- Coordinating and receiving food deliveries to the warehouse from donors and vendors
- Planning, loading, and delivering food stores from the ALIVE! Warehouse to Food partners, schools, and food distribution sites.
- Sorting, storing, inventorying, and ensuring that donated food meets guidelines established by USDA.
- Maintaining and regularly updating a logistics support plan for distribution of food with regular input from site leaders and staff to ensure high client and stakeholder satisfaction and efficiency of resources.
- Coordinating site logistics with City partners to ensure that traffic flow, parking, and access to distribution sites are safe and effective for clients and volunteers.
- Collect, manage, and maintain all Food Program data.
- Work across ALIVE! departments to coordinate client care, and client and volunteer data collections.
- Provide all required reports to the Capital Area Food Bank or other food partners, such as USDA.
- Provide key data to the Executive Director and Development & Communications Manager for any reports and/or grants or other purposes as requested.
- Together with staff and volunteers, regularly evaluate program and event outcomes to ensure improvements are made and efficiencies identified.
- Maintain files and records of all Food Program related expenditures and work with office staff to ensure invoices are paid.
- Work with Executive Director to develop budget and maintain budget priorities.
- Make recommendations and update Food Program policies with Food Program Committee.
- Oversee the set-up, organization, operation, sanitation and maintenance of the Warehouse, food pantries, and refrigerators. Maintain a clean, safe, and efficient operation of the Food Warehouse and any equipment, vehicles, and spaces used by the Food Program.
- Serve as liaison to the City General Services Department for any maintenance or other issues requiring their attention.
- Maintain ongoing inventory of food at ALIVE! Food Warehouse. Ensure appropriate inventory controls, including rotation of product using FIFO.
- Maintain and prepare reports of pounds in/out and number of people served.
- Maintain relationships with organizations serving ALIVE! clients or using ALIVE! Food.
- Provide information about potential opportunities to Executive Director or other appropriate staff members as needed.
- Build upon and develop partnerships with businesses and volunteer groups in collaboration with the Development & Communications Manager and Executive Director.
- Work with Volunteer Manager to maintain positive working relationships with volunteers and to provide a welcoming atmosphere for volunteers, ensuring that safety procedures are established and followed, and that volunteers are prepared and enabled to complete work.
Please send resume and cover letter to ALIVE! at email@example.com