Current Job Opportunities at ALIVE!
Founded in 1969 as a grassroots movement led by faith-based organizations and community leaders in response to growing concerns about poverty and hunger in their City. ALIVE! is a volunteer-governed 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing emergency and basic needs support to people in Alexandria. Its recent work to prevent and assist people facing eviction in the City of Alexandria is one of six programs currently run by ALIVE! and has helped people stay housed and recover funds to support their housing. ALIVE! House is the oldest transitional shelter of its kind serving women and their families.
Warehouse Assistant and Delivery Driver
ALIVE!, an interfaith nonprofit based in Alexandria, Virginia, is seeking a dedicated and motivated Warehouse Assistant and Delivery Driver to join our team. As a Warehouse Assistant, you will play a crucial role in supporting the efficient operation of our food program. Your responsibilities will include picking up, delivering, organizing, receiving, sorting, distributing donated food items, and ensuring that our food program operates smoothly to aid those in need.
•Pick up and deliver food donations.
•Ensure proper storage of food.
•Work with management to organize and maintain inventory shelves, ensuring that items are labeled, categorized, and easily accessible.
•Assist in sorting and packing food items according to established guidelines, including perishable and non-perishable goods.
•Collaborate with team members to assemble for distribution to ALIVE! Food Hubs, partner agencies, shelters, and community centers and at distribution events.
•Load and unload delivery trucks, ensuring the safe handling of food items.
•Keep accurate records of inventory levels, incoming donations, and outgoing distributions.
• Maintain a clean and organized warehouses environment, including regular cleaning and sanitization of workspaces and maintenance of equipment.
•Support the implementation of food safety and sanitation procedures to maintain the quality and safety of food products.
•Contribute to maintaining a positive and respectful work atmosphere, fostering a sense of teamwork and collaboration among staff and volunteers.
•Work with Volunteers.
•Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle physically demanding tasks, including lifting, bending, and standing for extended periods.
•Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
•Excellent communication and teamwork skills to collaborate effectively with staff, volunteers, and partner agencies.
•Understanding and commitment to food safety and sanitation guidelines.
• Compassionate and respectful attitude towards individuals and families facing food insecurity.
•Ability to follow instructions and adhere to established protocols.
•Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
•Ability to operate safely a pallet jack and drive a 16-foot box truck with lift gate.
Status: Full-time, hours may be variable depending on need and include some weekends and evenings-expected work week is 40 hours.
•Competitive hourly wage.
• Opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the lives of individuals and families in need.
•Positive and inclusive work environment that values teamwork and community engagement.
•Training and professional development opportunities to enhance skills in warehouse operations and food handling.
• Health and retirement benefits, and PTO.
If you are passionate about making a difference and want to contribute to our mission of fighting hunger and food insecurity, we encourage you to apply for the Warehouse Assistant and Driver position at ALIVE! Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and why you are interested in joining our team to email@example.com.
Food Program Warehouse Coordinator
ALIVE! is seeking a Food Program Warehouse Coordinator. ALIVE! is an interfaith basic needs organization providing food and other basic support to residents in the City of Alexandria, Virginia. Its food program relies on volunteers and staff and partners to provide about 5,000 households with food monthly.
The Food Program Warehouse Coordinator is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations at the warehouse under the direction of the Program Operations Director. This includes tracking inventory, communicating purchasing and inventory needs, working with and managing volunteers, receiving donations and orders, working closely with community partners, and ensuring that food, client communications, and equipment are prepared for delivery and ready for distribution events.
The Food Program Coordinator for warehouse operations engages in any or all of the following tasks as assigned by the Program Operations Director.
- Coordinates purchase and delivery schedules with the Program Operations Director and updates when orders are received.
- Manages inventory storage at Bus Barn and Warehouse including sorting and organizing pallets and preparing food and equipment for delivery and distribution events.
- Works with volunteers who help sort and prepare food and coordinates logistics for food drive partners.
- Works with other staff and volunteers to ensure a clean, safe, and positive warehouse environment.
- Ensures sufficient variety of food is available in warehouse to meet basic nutritional standards and provides a variety of foods to clients.
- Coordinates and communications with volunteer leadership for specific tasks and events
- Maintains warehouse equipment and ensures equipment is in good and safe operating condition.
- Assists in the collection and management of data collection and helps with regular internal and external reporting requirements as requested.
- Coordinates packing for grocery delivery programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be able to work part of a team
- Take reasonable initiative to problem solve and respond to changes
- Experience working in a Microsoft 365 environment
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Calm and friendly demeanor
- Positive and proactive attitude
- Ability to adapt to change and focus on detailed work when needed
- Bilingual in English and either Spanish, Pashtu, Farsi, Dari helpful but not required
Schedule: Flexible (Tuesday through Saturday) some days late shifts on weekdays (e, g.,11 am – 7 pm).
Status: Full-time, in-person.
Compensation: $50,000 – 55,000 per year depending on qualifications. Health and dental benefits, option to participate in 403b.
To apply: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.