Current Job Opportunities at ALIVE!
ALIVE! Program Operations Director
Founded in 1969 as a grassroots movement led by faith-based organizations and community leaders in response to growing concerns about poverty and hunger in their City, ALIVE! is a volunteer-governed 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing emergency and basic needs support to people in Alexandria. Its Food Program is one of six programs currently run by ALIVE!. Today, the Food Program team of staff and volunteers provides the largest food assistance effort in the City of Alexandria.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The ALIVE! Program Operations Director is responsible for the ensuring the successful execution and monitoring of ALIVE! operations. This includes overseeing staff to manage all programs with staff and volunteers in managerial positions, interfacing with community organizations to support programs, representing the organization with the guidance and direction of the Executive Director, overseeing volunteer management, logistics and support needs, managing budget, managing inventory controls, process and project management and reporting outcomes. This is a new position for the organization. The Program Operations Director will need to work with all other program leads and volunteers to ensure human and operational supports are in place to support operations. It is estimated the bulk of time will spent supporting the food program.
Job Duties include:
- Oversees day-to-day management/supervises of key program staff.
- Works collaboratively with the Client Service Director
- Reports on outcomes for each program with Client Service Director and Executive Director.
- Manages budgets for programs.
- Ensures community partnerships are well supported and coordinates activities to support community involvement and events like drives.
- Oversee volunteer manager to coordinate use and management of volunteer systems/oversees volunteer communications/tracking and data collection.
- Ensures all staff and volunteers are trained, supported.
- May be assigned to work with IT contractor to ensure tools are in place for all work.
- Works with vendors and maintains relationships with key partners.
- Supervises food program managers operate effectively and efficiently.
- Plans and manages programs to tie to operational goals
- Ensures the management and control of inventory of donated and purchased food to ensure that a ready stock of nutritious and culturally appropriate food is available for all programs.
- Ensure deliveries and donations are coordinated and stored safely and appropriately.
- Coordinates program leads to ensure delivery of programs is organized and well resourced across areas.
- Collect, manage, and maintain all Program data.
- Work across ALIVE! departments to coordinate data collection.
- Provide all required reports to the Capital Area Food Bank or other food partners, such as USDA.
- Provide key data to the Executive Director and Development & Communications Manager for any reports and/or grants or other purposes as requested.
- Together with staff and volunteers, regularly evaluate program and event outcomes to ensure improvements are made and efficiencies identified.
- Maintain files and records Program related expenditures and work with office staff to ensure invoices are paid.
- Work with Executive Director to develop budget and maintain budget priorities.
- Make recommendations and update Food Program policies with Food Program Committee.
- Supervise the management of all ALIVE! spaces including office space, Transitional Shelter, Warehouse, Bus Barn, Furniture Storage. Ensure the maintenance of any alive property and equipment so that all are clean, safe and efficient.
- Serve as liaison to the City General Services Department for any maintenance or other issues requiring their attention.
- Maintain relationships with organizations serving ALIVE! clients or using ALIVE! resources.
- Provide information about potential opportunities to Executive Director or other appropriate staff members as needed.
- Build upon and develop partnerships with businesses and volunteer groups in collaboration with the Development and Communications Manager and Executive Director.
- Work with Volunteer Manager to maintain positive working relationships with volunteers and to provide a welcoming atmosphere for volunteers, ensuring that safety procedures are established and followed, and that volunteers are prepared and enabled to complete work.
Skills and Knowledge
The ideal candidate shall have:
- Experience in logistics, warehouse management, events management, food distribution or other relevant type of work.
- A bachelor’s degree, masters preferred or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Strong customer service skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and foster relationships with stakeholders and partners.
- Experience working with clients and volunteers from diverse backgrounds.
- Project planning or project management experience.
- Strong computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office 365 and database management.
- Familiarity with health codes and USDA guidelines for food handling, and familiarity with safety procedures and risk mitigation to prevent injury.
- Effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively with others.
- Ability to prioritize, delegate and schedule work to be most efficient and effective.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards in job performance.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more daily.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- 5-10 years’ experience at the managerial level.
- Positive attitude.
Expectations and Benefits
This is a salaried, 40 hours-a-week position. However, hours may vary as it requires regular weekend work, some early starts and evenings, and the occasional need to work more than 40 hours in a given week. ALIVE! provides health and dental benefits, the option to participate in a retirement plan, and paid annual leave.
Please send a cover letter explaining how your experience relates to this position and why you are interested in working for ALIVE! along with a resume. Applicants should send to Alive! Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online. Applicants who do not submit a cover letter will not be considered.
Salary is commensurate of experience between $60,000- $70,000 annually.