ALIVE! strives to provide nutritious staple foods to our neighbors in need through direct distribution to our clients and by supporting Alexandria’s food pantries, meal kitchens, public schools, recreation centers, and other community partners.
Truck-to-Trunk Emergency Food Distribution
ALIVE! distributes food to those needing assistance two Saturdays per month, including the last Saturday, from 8:30 am – 10:30 am, or until supplies run out, in the parking lots of Cora Kelly (3600 Commonwealth Ave) and Northern Virginia Community College – Alexandria Campus (lot B-1 via Dawes Ave). Drive-through and walk-up service available. Follow current CDC guidelines. Do not come if you feel sick.
Emergency Pop-Up Food Distribution
ALIVE! Pop-Ups are for distribution to the intended neighborhood or apartments. Check the ALIVE! website Announcements on the main page for upcoming pop-ups.
Additional Food Access Resources
- Alexandria City Public Schools: Food Access for children and their families
- Hunger Free Alexandria: List of Emergency Food Access Points
Home Delivery Program
ALIVE!’s delivers food Monday – Friday afternoons to the doorsteps of those who are unable to attend emergency food distributions. Home deliveries are available to seniors, individuals with disabilities, and single parents with very young children, by referral from a case worker or ALIVE! member congregation. Clients may receive once monthly groceries: 3-5 days of shelf-stable food, meat, milk, fresh bread, eggs, and produce.
To receive assistance, clients must be referred by the Alexandria Office of Community Services 703-746-5700, an ALIVE! member congregation, or another social service agency. For more information on home delivery, contact Family Assistance or call 703-549-3692.
ALIVE! has expanded its Community Partner program during the health crisis. Food pantries, meal kitchens, and other food distribution sites provide a vital resource for those experiencing hunger. ALIVE!’s Community Partners program supports our city-wide network by providing shelf-stable food, fresh bread, frozen meat and produce, wholly or in part, to these community partners:
- Alexandria Department of Community and Human Services
- Alexandria Health Department
- Alexandria Housing Development Corporation
- Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Casa Chirilagua
- Child and Family Network Centers
- Christ Church pantry
- Christ House pantry
- DAR Al-Hijrah Islamic Center
- Ethiopian Center for Peace and Progress
- Ladrey Senior Housing Apartments
- Lorton Community Acton Center
- Meade Memorial Church pantry
- Mt. Jezereel Church pantry
- Neighborhood Health
- Oakland Baptist Church pantry
- Old Presbyterian Meeting House Open Table Breakfast
- Old Town Community Church Open Table Breakfast
- Our Lady Queen of Peace
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul
- St. Joseph Catholic Church pantry
- Washington Street United Methodist Church Open Table Breakfast
- West End pantry
If you or your organization wants to volunteer, visit the ALIVE! Volunteer page.
Virtual Food Drives
Have your family and friends donate to ALIVE! using a simple identifier in the check memo or additional comments section for online donations. For example, #SmithFamilyFoodDrive. This way we can track your virtual food drive.
Your financial donation goes a long way to help our mission. ALIVE! is able to source food at significant cost reductions – we can purchase many times over the amount of food with the same $5 you spend purchasing food to donate. Please consider a financial donation to ALIVE!.
*ALIVE! is an equal opportunity USDA food provider. ALIVE! does not discriminate based on religion, race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, nor engage in reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. To file a food program complaint of discrimination, access the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form.